RBZS grant for laboratory internship
The RBZS board has decided on the 05th of February 2018 to attribute annually two grants (500€ each) aiming to encourage young zoologist to realize a research internship in a Benelux laboratory or research group.
• To be a member of the Royal Belgian Zoological Society (i.e. membership fees must be paid before application),
• To be a PhD student or a postdoc,
• To propose a research stay in a Benelux laboratory or research group, related to a PhD or a Postdoctoral project between June of the year of application and June of the following year. 2019. Duration of the stay must at least be one month.
• The scientific activity must be linked to zoological sciences (in its broadest sense, from molecules to biosphere, but excluding veterinary sciences),
• Application documents: 1. a description of the stay (including scientific context, host institution and host supervisor address/contact, dates and a provisional budget (750 words max plus a table)), 2. a letter of acceptance by the PI of the host laboratory or research group, 3. for PhD students, a letter of acceptance from the supervisor, 4. a short CV (2 pages max, including professional and private address, e-mail and bank account where the grant must be payed),
• For the provisional budget, allowed expenses are: travel cost, lodging cost or laboratory consumable cost. Equipment expenses are no allowed.
• Application documents must be sent to RBZS president and RBZS secretary before 30th of April. Decision will be taken in the last week of June and communicated by e-mail to applicant. This is a two steps procedure: 1. Eligibility checking and application pre-selection based on the quality of the CV and of the proposed stay by a dedicated working group, 2. Selection by the RBZS board at the June board meeting, based on the propositions made by the grant working group.
• Granted applicants should acknowledge the Society in publication(s) related to their stay and are invited to publish their results in our Society journal, namely the Belgian Journal of Zoology.
• A two pages report will be asked to the applicant, including a financial report with expense covered by the grant. Report will be sent to RBZS president (Prof Ellen Decaestecker) and RBZS secretary (Dr Gilles Lepoint) one month after the internship.